Driving Traffic to The Domain
Build a Real Website for the Domain Name
It can be just as profitable if you develop an actual website. When starting a new website, traffic will be virtually non-existent.
You can register an expired domain and use its existing internet presence to deliver traffic to the new site, or you can register a new domain and forward several other (expired) domains to the new site.
Monetize The New Website?
- use PPC ads to generate revenue,
- affiliate links,
- sell your own product, subscriptions, etc.
- use several “high traffic” domains to drive traffic to your site
- later flip domain name for an even greater profit.
You can roughly calculate the value of a domain’s traffic by comparing it to the expense of running a PPC campaign. So 100 visitors a day would roughly cost at least $365 a year. You can often acquire expiring domains with these numbers for $30-100.
Using the same techniques, you can deliver good quality traffic to your existing website & see results almost immediately. Most top websites have a large arsenal of domains delivering quality traffic over & over again.
Domain Name Buying Tips
Seek the lowest price possible. Here are some tips to save money.
- Shop around– The domain name registrar market is highly competitive. You can often find that one company offers domains for a significantly lower price than another.
Coupon Codes– Always do a quick “Googling” for coupon codes to use.
Register in the Bulk– If you register domains in the bulk, you can often get a small discount.
Get Bundled Discounts– The registrar you use may offer special bundle discounts that you can use to save money.
Watch for Specials– Many domain registrars will run special promotions & holiday discounts.
Domain Kiting/Tasting– Domain kiting is a process where a domain name registrar registers domains in a massive bulk (thousands or even hundreds of thousands). They pay the necessary registration fees. They will then place ads on the page and earn revenue from any type-in traffic. They do this for 5 days at a time. When the 5 days have expired, they will then request a full refund on all of the domains.
Now, companies such as Pool.com have enabled individuals to take part in this scheme. Only now it is called “domain tasting.” where they allow you to try the domain name for about 4 ½ days. Then you can request a refund (minus a small fee).
Domain Name Selling Tips
1. List the domain on as many selling sites as you can.
2. If you are having trouble selling your domain, consider lowering the price.
3. Consider adding some site selling promotions if needed.
4. Think outside the marketing methods box.
You could run a banner or PPC campaign advertising your domain for sale. If the domain name is in a certain niche (say insurance), then you could use the option on a PPC to advertise on popular insurance sites.
Also, don’t be afraid to advertise in free online classifieds, press releases, email campaigns, newsletters, domain name forums, social networking sites, affiliate/brokerage programs, and more, using as many marketing methods as possible. Also, you could contact businesses that are related to your domain & offer to sell it.
5. Try different ways to profit from selling domains. You could locate unregistered quality domains, and offer a “complimentary” domain as an “bribe” to buy another one of your more expensive products. By using the domain as a “free gift” you could boost sales for as low as $1.99!
6. Sell bulk quantities of domains. For instance, if you have a great domain, register the .com, .net, .org, etc. along with it. Also, consider the plural version of the domain. Or you could simply offer a few domains that are related as one package.
7. Make a pitch page! Sometimes when you register a domain, the registrar will offer you a free credit for 1 month of web hosting for each domain name you purchase. Of course, this hosting usually displays ads, but you could still use this to your advantage. Make a simple “pitch” page explaining all of the benefits of your domain(s). Or, list a portfolio of all of the domain names you intend to sell, on one pitch page, and drive traffic to that pitch page.
Since you usually get 1free hosting credit per domain, you can switch every month from the old hosting credit to a new hosting credit. Then copy & paste your list of “for sale” domains (or the sales pitch) into the new 1 month free hosting. Then redirect all your advertising traffic to the new URL.
8. Be sure to include any raw data that show’s your domain value. Traffic logs, appraisal values, back links, amount of time it has been registered (Older domains are usually worth more money) and more can make the buyer have more confidence that they are making a good decision. Also, the domains expiration date, where it is registered, and how you plan to transfer the domain (free push, etc.)
Adding Value to a Domain Name:
1. Submit the domain to search engines and directories. Go to each major search engine (Google.com, etc.) and directory to manually submit the domain, or use a free online service that does it for you. There are several websites that offer free search engine submission.
2. Build a few back links. By taking a few minutes to build some back links, you could make your domain name worth more money.
3. Brand the domain. Make a creative logo & sell the logo with the domain. Some can costs hundreds of dollars.
4. Build a simple website template. Build a simple 1-5 page website template. Again, this alone could add hundreds to the domain’s value
5. Watch out for new trends. Every year new fads, diets, products, diseases, etc. hit the market. a domain related to that fad. will typically receive a significant profitable amount of type-in traffic due to the rush in popularity. You never know when you may get a hot inside tip before anyone else!
6. Keep the domain & let it rise in value. A certain domain name may not be worth much now, but in the future, it could be a gold mine. This is due to all of the quality domain names being slowly snatched up by eager domainers, individuals, and companies. By keeping domains, you can use them to earn money each year to cover your fees and provide a small profit, and then turn around in a few years and cash them in big time!
7. Use the domain as a sub-domain with a popular website. This will increase its value.
8. Watch for new extensions. Normally, every time there is a new domain name extension added for registration, there is a huge “gold-rush” by other domainers to register the top words. If you are lucky enough to grab up one of the most popular one word domain names, you could get a huge payoff from the domain._nq